Thursday, May 24, 2018

What Have I Been Up To?

Hey Guys! Thought I'd do a little..."What We've Been Up To." Life is always a bit crazy. But lately, we've been running at 100MPH. Here goes...


 1. In case you missed it, we announced our "Gifting" for the year...via our Love for Blue Foundation. So proud of this accomplishment! We gifted $3500 to ABQ Youth. And countless cards, notes, and little gifts via Love Caregivers.

 2. We are 100% into the Growers' Markets. Wow! We are so busy! You can see our schedule here. It's different from last year. This year, the arts and craft vendors, rotate weekends. And spots. So I make sure to put all the info, on our Facebook page.

This weekend we'll be at the ABQ Downtown Growers' Market. Spot #91. And the ABQ Rail Yards Market. Spot #22. That's our regular spot. All season long! Hope to see you there!


 3. We started a new Market this week. The Wednesday Lunch Market. It's at Civic Plaza, from 11AM-2PM. Yesterday was Opening Day. We had a lot of fun. It got hot. And for the last hour, all I wanted to do...was jump in the Splash Pad area. With all the kids.

I can't really tell you, when we'll be there. They let us know on Tuesday night...doesn't give much notice. But it's a fun Market! There are a few farmers, some food, lots of crafts, free yoga, some music, the Splash Pad is open, and you can come say Hi!

 4. I started a new blog. After a frustrating celebration. Were the manager, was so racist. And it took everything inside me, to not throw a Toddler Tantrum. No lie! So I started a blog.

If you've followed me, for a number of years...you may remember another food/restaurant blog that I had. It was super successful. I stayed anonymous. And after 5 years, I sold it. That one also started, after a bad experience. When we went to eat at Garcia's. Words are powerful!

Truth be told, I've probably spent more time eating out, in my lifetime...than any other person. I'm not here to bash people/restaurants. But for real...have some respect for your customers!


 5. I'm still looking for a job. Something I was counting on, just didn't pan out. But I'm not letting that get me down. Just got to figure something out.

I need to be able to work a flexible schedule, be somewhat close to home, or only work events. Maybe part-time? I was talking to a friend that runs a Food Truck. And perhaps, during the larger events...I can go help her. Take the orders, keep things stocked, help her setup and tear down.

In case you don't know my situation, I can't go back to work full time. I have to take care of my Momma. Actually, I'm not supposed to leave her alone. But sometimes, I need to. So I need to have the flexibility to continue caring for her. And if she's having a bad week, I need to be able to stay home with her.

 6. I'm working...sorta...with a Farmer Friend. I still do a lot of work with the DOH. Lots to do with their Meal Planning/Cooking Classes. And they needed a farmer. To purchase food from, take kiddos to their farm, and have them come into the office to sell their products.

Well, I wasn't sure who to ask. When I got the request from my boss. But there is a farmer, that lives down the road. I met him at the Market. And he is super sweet. He knows I need some work. And we kinda got into this venture together.

I'm not selling at his Market stand, or working on his farm. But we're working on this venture together. What's that saying..."Scratch my back, and I'll scratch yours." Ya, we are helping each other out.

I know there are other people that I could have turned to. But let's be real. They totally screwed me over. So what's that other saying? "Sleep with one eye open." I'm not that mean. But really? Could you have done me wrong...any worse?

So there you go. I'll be doing weekly field trips to a farm, writing recipes, teaching some classes at the DOH...and let's be real. Probably helping a little at the Market Stand. On my off weeks. Because I need some dinero. Thank You friend! Oh, I'm also going to help my friend get his social media going, for his farm. He has accounts set up. But doesn't really use them. Time to start taking pics of plants, veggies, and anything farm related!


 7. I've been working really hard on our fundraisers. Our Annual Fun Run/Car Show is indefinitely postponed. Our first date was moved, after my Nanie's passing. I just felt, that we needed to pay some respect. Our next date, conflicts with something else. So I'm thinking September. I'll keep you updated.

The Tea Party though...I'm in full swing! August can't come soon enough. We've got a bunch of teapots. I've got a menu planned. Some crafts too. I'm just waiting to 100% secure the location. I'm thinking it will be too hot, to be outside. So I've been talking with a local Community Center.

So here are some of the details. The Tea Party is open to all ages! Grannys, Mommas, Little Girls. We're almost positive, that we are going to charge $25 for adults. And $10 for girls 10 and under. We are encouraging dressing up. I'm thinking of hosting a tea cup exchange. We we'll have our crafts for sale. As well as some affordable jewelry. And perhaps...some tea related items.

And for our Dinner and Dance...planning is also well on it's way. I was hoping to use a friend to cater. But it's looking more and more, like we're going to do the cooking. Because, Hello! This is a fundraiser. I can't pay $20 a plate. And only charge $25. It just doesn't make sense.

I've got the entertainment secure. And I'm still waiting to decide on which location. There are 2, that I have in mind. I've talked to them, drawn up a contract, and done some research. I just need to pull the trigger. Oh, and in case you missed it...this fundraiser will be in October.

To be honest, I'm a little overwhelmed. It's a TON of work. And I'm pretty much, the entire workforce. Ideally, we didn't want all the events so close together. But, it is what it is. Life happened, dates got moved, and here we are.

For 2019, and forward...I hope to have this schedule. The Fun Run Fundraiser/Car Show at the end of April. Our Tea Party at the beginning of August. And our Dinner and Dance...in October. That's our goal!

 8. I'm still waiting on my Driver's License. I went and renewed mine, over a month ago. I still haven't gotten it, in the mail. And I still have 2 weeks, before I can file a complaint. Ugh! That is also the reason, I can't go apply for work. They won't take my paper version...

Because I tried. And my State Work ID, won't cut it. Argh! I just need a job. And eventually, my Driver's License. Does anyone know of any jobs? Watching kids, cooking, whatever...


 9. I'm trying to convince my Mom, to go on vacay. With her sisters. But she feels guilty. Why? Because I've been wanting to go to Disney. And she would be going. I'm trying so hard, to get her to go. I think it would be good for her. Besides, they invited her!

I think my Mom feels guilty, because I'm staying behind. We had already asked my sister to watch our dogs. We were thinking, of going on a Road Trip. And she said yes. But this is different. So I told my Mom, I'd stay home. She can go have some fun. Lay on the beach, spend time with her sisters, and spend a day at Disney.

Because honestly, I've been worried about my Mom. She is struggling. Health wise. And I'm not sure, what's going on. I don't know if it's physical. Or if she's feeling down. Or what is going on. But I just want her to go have some fun!

To be 100% truthful, I am a bit jelly. You know, I was so used to travelling. For work. Other than work, I didn't do too much on these trips. But it was fun, to just go somewhere. Get out of town. See something different.

Oh, and I've been dying to go to Disney. For probably 2 years. I'm a BIG kid at heart! Let's just get that straight. But what can a girl do? I was telling one of my friends. Who happens to be a musician in Disney World. What was his answer? Pack up the dogs, and fly to Orlando. While my Mom is going to be gone for 10 days...he wants me to go hangout in Florida. Hit Disney, go fishing in the Atlantic, and just chill. It sounds like a dream...

10. I started organizing a Crochet Class. I was doing them last year. And the interest dwindled away. But apparently, people want to do it again. I've had a TON of interest. Especially at the Growers' Markets.

This time, I'll be charging. I've realized, my time is worth something too. I was asked to do a class, at a local craft store. The owner is looking to get more traffic into her store. She won't be charging me, until January. It's a pretty good deal. And whatever I charge, will be 100% mine.

I'm thinking $20 a person. $30 if you want me to get your supplies. I think that should be good. Pays for my time. Still makes it affordable, for my potential students. Because I was noticing at JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby, the classes go on sale for $50! Also, I'm still thinking of doing something at the Library again. Maybe the same price. Maybe a little less. Not sure. But I will definitely keep everyone up-to-date.


11.  I started a new venture. I'll be incorporating it into our fundraisers. The hint...$5. I think most people will get it. I can't sell it at the Growers' Markets. Because I didn't make it. But you know, it will help!

12. Anyone want hang out? Do a little Recipe Exchange? Or Dinner Club sort of thing. No lie! Been putting a little something together. I used to do these all the time. When I lived alone. I miss it! So I'm started it all over again. :)

Let me know if you are interested. We can meet once a month. Each person can make a dish. And we can get together to eat. You know, we'd have a theme or something. Or maybe have one person in charge of the meal each month. It really is a fun thing. And is usually about 8-10 people. So it's not too crazy!

I think that's it. For the moment. I mean, we are doing a ton more. But I'm not sure on a lot of the details. And if I can share them yet. So we are going to leave it here. Happy Thursday!

XOXO,
Desiree

No comments:

Post a Comment