Friday, March 23, 2018

Friday Favorites #12

Happy Friday! I guess this post would be better titled, "Celebrations." It was a busy week. That I'm still not sure, how it past so quickly! With good and bad. But isn't that what life is all about?


Like I said, this week was full. We had 2 birthday parties, my Dad's Anniversary, we lost a dear friend, had his services, and someone may or may not have had a birthday! Let's get started...


 1. Homemade Gifts. So on Friday, last week, I decided I wanted to make a present. For one of the Birthday Parties we went to, over the weekend. Honestly, had I known about the second party...I would have made 2! 

My little buddy, Kaleb, spent the entire 2017 Growers' Market Season, talking about this mat. He wanted one. So bad!!! During the season, I was lucky to keep one in stock at all times. But I knew exactly what I wanted to make him.

So on Friday after doing some work, I stopped and bought him some cars. And some other fun things. I had taken my Mom shopping already. I think we went on Thursday. And she had picked up a gift. I on the other hand, like to wait until the last minute. So I sat down and got to work. The little bag, was a last minute addition. I decided to stick the cars inside. I think it will be a new addition to the shop.

I like this little bag, because I tend to have a hard time, keeping the cars together. It's just a small drawstring bag. Took all of 20 minutes to figure out, and make. And I fit 3 Matchbox cars, and a little Monster truck inside.

The reason I want to add them to our sales items is, lots of kiddos try walking away with the cars. Or have a total meltdown, because I don't sell the cars. By themselves. So I think the bags will be a good thing. Anyway, this mat was so fun. And super quick to whip up. Kaleb loved it. He even took the time to see what was inside the pouch. I think it was a success!


 2. St. Patty's Day Treats. Every Friday during Lent, the Knights of Columbus at our Church, host a Fish Fry. And we try to go to them all. They make some delicious fish. And it's always a fun evening.

Although the guys are good cooks, they are not bakers. And rarely think of sweet treats. Many times, they have odds and ends, that may have been left over. From a funeral reception, earlier in the day. Or they have packaged cookies. So for the last 3 years, I've tried to make some sort of dessert. Every time we go.

Usually I bake. But our oven died in December. And we've been putting off, buying a new stove. We've had the oven worked on twice, in about 10 years. And honestly, I just think it's time for a new stove. But I'm waiting for the stores to have a sale. Because we could also use a new washer and dryer. You know, buy more...save more!

So I can't bake. I've been focusing on other types of treats. On this day, I made Rainbow Fudge. And Lucky Charms Treats. Because St. Patrick's Day was on Saturday, it seemed appropriate. :)

I've made a few versions of fudge lately. And everyone LOVES it! To me, it's a little too sweet. But this was so easy to make. 3 ingredients. And those Lucky Charms treats were fun too. Probably more so, because of the Special Edition version, of the Lucky Charms. They were all green!


 3. Sky On Fire. When we were leaving the church on Friday, we stopped to talk to a friend. And the sky was so beautiful! This picture doesn't do it justice. I wish I had been faster, and taken a picture of the red sky around the church. It was so pretty.


 4. Saturday Shopping. We don't go shopping much. It completely tires my Momma out. I HATE cancer. Like nobody's business. But once in a while, my Momma has an urge to go shopping. 

We got a sale last week. From JoAnn's. It had some really good deals. And since we were headed in that direction for a Birthday Party, she asked to go shopping. Sure. We left the house around noon. Our party was at 3:30PM. Plenty of time! 

Well, we spend about 90 minutes at JoAnn's. My Mom stocked up, on some sewing essentials. She's been sewing a lot! I browsed the store. Picked up some yarn. And darn, I wish I had gotten a few more skeins! Anyone going to be around the westside JoAnn's?

Anyway, we headed to Hobby Lobby after that. She needed some crochet thread. And we had about an hour and a half to kill. Hobby Lobby is about 5 minutes from JoAnn's. And Peter Piper's in about 2 minutes from Hobby Lobby. 

We honestly had 2 things on our list. But completely flipped over all the stuff! We hadn't been to Hobby Lobby in a while. They are all, so far from us. I died when I saw this sign. And totally regret not picking it up!!! I have ALWAYS loved flamingos. The quote is also spot on. Anyone still want to get me a birthday present? 

Anyway, we had no real plans, for a big shopping adventure. But before you knew it, we were buying 7 teapots/pitchers. We had thread, wooden crates, and doll eyes. My Momma bought me the teapots/pitchers for my birthday. They were all 50-60% off. We are planning a Tea Party Fundraiser in the Summer. So these will be great! The crates were 90% off. We could use them for the Growers' Markets. Honestly, I think none of them were over $2. I know 3 were under $1!

But it was a nice adventure. We actually left Hobby Lobby a little later, than we had expected. As in, we spent 2 hours in there! With way more stuff than we thought. We bought a cart full. And walked out carry a few things. While pushing a cart. So it was surprising when we only spent $60. Score!


 5. Kaleb's Birthday. We were about 30 minutes late to Kaleb's Birthday party. But just in time, for food. Literally, we got there, sat down, and the food was served! It was a lot of fun. I always enjoy hanging out with our friends. And it had been a while, since we had seen them.

Peter Piper's was CRAZY!!! As always on a weekend. There were a bunch of parties going on, lots of noise, and tons of food! But it really was a fun afternoon/evening. And a much welcomed distraction. Because we had gotten some bad news earlier.

But just look at that smile! How could this kid, not melt your heart? I miss seeing these people. During the GM Season, we'd see them 2 or 4 times a week. Ugh! When is the season going to start?


 6. Easter Decorations. Sunday was cold and ugly. My Momma was tired from our adventures, on Saturday. And we got real lazy. After Church and breakfast, my Mom went to rest. I think she took a nap, and played games on her tablet. I didn't see her for about 4 hours...

I was bored. Cold. And itching to change our decorations. When I went to look for our box of Easter decor, I found this Tea Set. I bought it for my Mom...probably 6+ years ago. No lie! We'd gone to have breakfast at Cracker Barrel for Easter? I'm not sure the day. But she saw it.

My Mom loved the Tea Set. But didn't want it. Supposedly. Then we had gone home, and she kept talking about it. By the middle of the week, my Dad and I had gone looking for it. With no luck! About a month later, I was traveling for work. And found this beauty!

I immediately bought it. And wrapped it up. It was my Momma's birthday present that year. She LOVED it! And had a million plans for it. "I'm going to put it up, every Easter." We'd never opened the box!

So as I was changing out green and shamrocks for lambs, bunnies, and crosses...I pulled this out. And set it up, on our dining room table. It is so precious! And honestly, isn't too Easter-y. As in, we can keep it up all Spring! When my Mom saw it, she literally squealed! I think it was a success!


 7. Joey's Birthday Party. So on Saturday, when I was in the shower, my Mom got to talking to our neighbors. And they invited us, to their grandson's birthday party. Joey and Kaylie's parties are my favorite! The company is always fun. The food is always amazing! It's just a good time.

So Sunday afternoon we headed out. I really wish I would have had time, to make him a car mat. Boy is into his cars! Look how excited he is, to be turning 5. And because of all those presents. I don't know who was more excited about that big box...me or him! :) By the way, it was a HUGE Hot Wheels Track.

He is so much fun too! And super cute. When he found out it was my birthday later in the week, he came over with a present for me. Because I had gone to his party. Seriously, isn't that the cutest! PS...I LOVED all the bath products that my neighbors so generously gifted me.


 8. Zebras. So from the party, we were supposed to meet some friends. At a local brewery. For a little Battle of the Bands. Not sure what happened. None of our friends showed up. And because the weather was so cold and windy...the show was cancelled. Boo!

Which was probably a good thing. My Mom was cold, tired, and in pain. We headed home...and straight for our PJs. But not before a quick and windy selfie. :)

This shirt is one of my favs! I bought it in November? At wait for it...Walmart! For like $12. I was actually looking for some jeggings/skinny jeans. Because I'm losing weight. Not intentionally...but I'll take it. And because I wasn't sure if it was permanent thing or not, I didn't want to spend a lot of money on jeans. My friend had also been praising these skinny jeans.

So while looking around, I found this top. And 2 others. A navy with flowers. And a white stop, with tiny red lips, and black polka dots. They are so comfy! So are the jeans. Which were under $8. 

All day on Sunday, I had to laugh. Everyone loved my shirt. And called the zebras everything under the sun, except zebras. It is such a fun shirt. Without being so "In your face, animal print."


 9. Avocado Clay Mask. By the time 8PM rolled around, my Momma was fast asleep. And I was feeling the need to just relax. If you follow me on Insta than you know all about #SelfCareSunday. The time I try to make for myself, every week. To spoil myself a little.

I LOVE sheet masks. I've used them for the last 20+ years. But this week, I felt like I needed something more. I used to be a daily makeup user. Until about 6 years ago. Lots of things got left behind, when I became a caregiver. But it has actually been really good for my skin.

Over the last 2 or 3 weeks, I've been wearing more and more makeup. We've had a lot funerals and such to attend. So my skin has been needing some TLC. I used this mask on Sunday night. And OMG, it's my new favorite! Well, behind my sheet masks.

It just left my skin feeling so good! Clean and soft. I really enjoyed it. My friends sent me a big box of masks, a while ago. And there are a few clay masks in there. But this one, I definitely will have my eye out for. Like, I want to buy 10!

I'm not 100% sure of the price. I know at the time I was sent the masks, my friend paid $2-3 a mask. And they were bought at Walmart. The last time I was rushing by, on my way to the dog food, I saw a display of these type of masks. The sign said 2 for $8. But I honestly, didn't look to well. I don't even know, if it was these masks. But I'd say, they'd be under $5. I'll let you know, when I find them. :)


10. Homemade Pancakes. So remember how I told you, my Mom was pretty exhausted? Well, she and our dogs...slept until past 11AM Monday. So I decided to make breakfast.

It was so yummy! Homemade banana pancakes. I topped mine with pecans, more bananas, and some local honey. My Mom opted for bananas and maple syrup. She asked me to cook the pecans in hers.

And for those of you, who are wondering about pancakes. They are super easy to make! I get questions all the time. From scratch they are fast and easy. But you can also use a mix. If I use a mix, I'll grab the red box. Ugh! What is it called? Anyway, you add an egg, some milk, and veggie oil. Let the batter set for 5 minutes, and start cooking.

As far as cooking them. Well, I've done it on an electric griddle. Which is my favorite. Especially when cooking for a crowd. But for my Mom and I, I use a nonstick skillet. Put it on a medium heat, add a little butter in the pan. And you can fit 2 pancakes at a time. About 1/4 cup of batter each.

The thing I do, is always add fruit or nuts. I put the batter in the pan, and add some berries, bananas, or nuts while cooking. Yum! Then I add fruit to the top. I don't like syrup. I know. Weirdo here. But many times, I'll add fruit. Once in a while, I'll put some local honey. Oh, and I never add butter. Because I cook them in butter. It takes me about 10 minutes to cook up 10 smallish pancakes. :)


11. Tacos and Rice. So Monday afternoon, while I was getting some work done...my Mom headed to the kitchen. I could hear all this noise. And when I went to investigate, I found her making rice. She also had started making taco meat.

Hello! Yum! This is one of my favorite meals! So I decided to make some guac and fresh salsa. And I got busy cutting up some veggies. It was so delicious! I may or may not have snacked on tacos for lunch...multiple times this week. :)

But I did feel guilty. I'm not the only one in the fam, that LOVES my Momma's tacos and rice. My littlest, big sissy does too. And she's been wanting some, since she returned in January. Darn, she was traveling on this day too. And just came back last night. But these tacos, were long gone...by then. I guess, we'll just have to make some more.


12. Dollar Slippers. These slippers! Here's a quick story. Back in the late Summer/early Fall I took my Mom to eat breakfast. And we made a quick stop at a Dollar Tree. My Mom gets so excited to go to DT. Because she really never goes there. And every single time, she still asks me if things are just $1. Like 20 times, in one visit. 

We were looking for some things for my Nanie. Mostly socks and decorations. When we saw these little slippers. More than a sock...but not something you can walk around in outside. I'd never seen them before. And after going through an entire box, I found 5 pairs for my Mom, 1 for my Nanie, and 2 for me. I was so sad. I wanted all the prints, my Mom had. Instead, I ended up with some random stripes. 

There honestly, was not much of a selection, for sizes under an 8. My Mom wears a 5! But when I got to the bottom of the box, I found these. I didn't believe my eyes! Well, once we got home the other slippers became my go to. The first pair, completely fell apart.

To be honest, I wore them for months. Did good, and only wore them inside. Until January. Then they got gross. And I decided to throw them in the washer with my PJs. Same sort of fabric. So why not? Well, they fell apart. Insert my very sad face here. The other pair, I've lost them since my Nanie's passing. I wore them one night that we stood with her. And now I can't find them.

Prior to this, I wasn't much of a slipper person. What so ever. You should see some of my socks. They beg me to wear slippers. And I have never seen any of these at DT again. But earlier this week, I was going through some drawers. Tossing out undies and bras...that need to be retired. I found these slippers. 

They are so comfy! Probably a size too big. But they do the trick. The inside is super warm. They have the faux sheep skin stuff inside. And a more durable fabric on the outside. With a nice bottom. I'm promising myself, not to ruin them. You know, by walking outside in them. :)

But I hope to find some more. At some point. The DT is all over the place, when it comes to items. It can be year, before you find something you are looking for. Or you may never see it again. Who knows?


13. Chili's Deal. I don't know, about a month ago, I took my Mom out to lunch. I had a giftcard for Outback. And we went for Walk-About-Wednesday. It was a ton of food, for $10. And really yummy!

So my Mom really enjoys Chili's. And she wanted to take me out for my birthday. So we were on the fence, between Chili's and Outback. But when she saw the commercial for Chili's...she was sold!

My Mom wanted a steak. Until we got there. And started looking at the menu. Before I knew it, she was ordering something completely different. I on the other hand, stuck to the steak. I about died, when they brought it out. So much food!

What does $10 get you? A salad, drink, and this entire plate! For $2 more, you can get a larger steak. I ended up bringing some food home. Because, hello! And it was so tasty. The steak was cooked perfectly. And was so tender. Not always the case, when you go out to eat.

I enjoyed spending the afternoon/evening with my Mom. I'm not much of a "Let's celebrate my birthday," kind of gal. But it was nice and low key. Total bonus, we ran into some friends. And got to chat with them, before we left. :)


14. Birthday Ice Cream. So after eating, my Mom had to run to Walmart. Which I was more than happy to do. I NEEDED to walk around. We both ate so much! We went to pick up a few things. Then she wanted to treat me to dessert. Back at Chili's I was too full. 

2 hours later, after walking around a bit, we headed to Baskin Robbins. Everything is all in the same shopping area. So it's not like we were all over the city. But because it was my birthday, and they had some other BOGO promo going...we spent $2 for 2 sundaes. Good deal!

And honestly, the perfect sweet treat for me! I like going to this particular BR. Because they ALWAYS have Baseball Nut. My fav! And since I usually make my own cake...it was nice to just enjoy a treat.


15. My Mom and Her Games. So we had some time to kill. And there was free WIFI. When I got back to the table with our ice cream, my Mom had successfully downloaded 3 or 4 new games. To her tablet. Total success. Being that I usually have to sign her into whatever WIFI we are near. She is learning folks!

Anyway, after ice cream time, we were people watching. My favorite thing to do! I was listening to this group of little girls. Who were trying to figure out, the best way to spend their $5. I glanced across the table, and my Mom is all into Candy Crush! 100% new to her! in about 36 hours, she's already to level 20!

She may not look like she is happy. But she really was! And she was all into figuring out her new games. I think we sat there for another 45 minutes. As I answered emails and texts. And she played. :)


16. Pretty Flowers. Yesterday was tough. We said our goodbyes to a good friend of ours. It's crazy, we only knew each other...about 21 months. We met at the Growers' Market. And became fast friends. 

He was there, during my Momma's diagnosis. And honestly, was the one and only person, we told for a long time. My Mom and Landis would sit and talk for hours. About their illness. Medications. Doctors. He gave her medicine. And they talked about treatments. When one was having a bad day, the other usually was too. They were a good support for each other. And often times, chatted over a Pepsi. 

I also valued our friendship so much! Becoming fast friends. Landis' zest for life. His crazy stories. Funny jokes. And words of wisdom. It's like our Dear Lord just knew, we needed him in our lives. To help us. My Momma with her illness. Myself, with my grief.

We were blessed to become good friends. To be friends with his family. To try and prepare them, for what was ultimately going to happen. It was so hard, to see this man, being taken by cancer. In so many ways, it reminded me, of my Dad's journey...

Yesterday, we celebrated Landis' life. And with all the heartache and heavy emotions...there were so many flowers. Beacons of light. And promise. And hope. It just made me realize, there is beauty in everything. 


17. Grief. This week, in may ways has been tough. Saturday we learned of Landis' passing. Tuesday we celebrate 3 years, of my Daddy being in Heaven. Our hearts are still heavy with grief, over my Nanie's passing. 

I think about it all. The highs of celebrating birthdays this week. And the lows of grief. What I wouldn't give, for one more moment with my Daddy. To lose your Dad in your early 30s, is beyond difficult. I know he was always trying to prepare me, for that day. When he would no longer, be here with me. As an Earthly Being. 

We also respected our dear friend. And gave him, the respect he needed. To spend time with his family. To die with dignity. But I so dearly, wanted to see him again. To just let him know, how important he was to my Mom and I.

And my Nanie. It's still so raw. You walk around, thinking it's going to be OK. In reality, she wasn't HER. For a long while. Illness does that to a person. I miss HER. 

I find myself, trying to keep it together. Hold all the emotions in. So much death has happened in March. So many anniversaries. And while I try and fight those tears, and put on a smile...I realize that it's OK. To cry. To be angry. To be sad. I have this love...that I'm just not sure where it is supposed to go.


18. Celebrate. And then, all at once, I remember we need to live. And celebrate. And more forward. It's hard to be so happy. To try and find the sweet spot in life. When all you want to do, is curl up in bed.

But it's the truth, you need to celebrate. You need to go out and about. To help you find your way. And the more you celebrate your life, the more blessings that are brought into your life.

I need to keep reminding myself of this. It's a tough lesson, to teach yourself. But it is a very valuable one.

That's it for this week's Friday Favorites! So many things. Such a roller coaster of a week. I truly, just want a few days to just be. To relax. For life, to not be so complicated. Do you know what I mean?

I think this week, will have lots of that. We have a Girl's Brunch on Sunday. That I'm pretty excited for. We haven't been to a Girl's Event in a while. I think since Christmas? And I have some fun dates lined up this week. With some of my favorite littles. During their Spring Break. Nothing too fancy. Lunch with one, ice cream with another, and maybe a picnic with the third. It should all be fun! Happy Friday!

XOXO,
Desiree

No comments:

Post a Comment