Friday, March 16, 2018

Friday Favorites #11

This has been a tough week. Like I wanted to dig a big 'ol hole...and hide in it. Put a rock on top...and forget that I was even there. But I made it. Somehow. And I'm looking forward to this coming week, to be a bit more relaxing. Not so adventurous. Maybe a bit more peaceful. Let's get started with this week's Friday Favorites....



Excuse the bags under my eyes. I have not been sleeping well. For at least 2 weeks now. But it's March. We're over half over with the month. I still can't believe that! But over on our Love For Blue Instagram page, we're rocking the blue! All month. If you'd like to join in posting your blue pictures, on you favorite social media...please tag them with #LoveForBlue #BlueForBlue and #BlueDays.


In case you are new around here, my Dad battled colon cancer. And sadly, lost his battle...nearly 3 years ago. I still can't believe he is gone. But we have a 3 year old foundation that my Dad started, shortly before his death. It's a way to remember him. And continue his work.


Last week, my Nanie (Grandma) became an angel. On Friday, we celebrated her life...with a viewing. Gosh, I'm going to miss this beautiful lady. All her stories. Her wisdom. And her CRAZY jokes!


After my Nanie's viewing, we had a few errands to run. Before her services the next day. After picking up some last minute things, we stopped for a late dinner. At Panda Express. We always get the Big Plate. And a side of fried rice. My Mom and I share it all! It was yummy. Even if I had to stay clear of the beef. Do you give up meat on Fridays too?


So on Friday afternoon, I started this doll. I had dreamt of it, the night before. Pretty much, in one afternoon, I had all the parts made. And Friday night, I stood up, to finish her. Basically, sew her together. And put on her hair.

Now I've made many dolls. In case you are interested, you can find some of my work on our Craft Blog and on our Instagram page. Anyway, it usually takes awhile. Like I spend a few hours putting on the hair. Making my dolls, turn into fun little people. But this doll was so easy to make! My Nanie always told me, if it was meant to be, it will be. 

I couldn't sleep really well on Friday night. So after my Mom went to bed, I finished up this doll. And I kept thinking of my Nanie. I decided to place it in her casket. It just seemed appropriate. Being that she taught me how to crochet. And she always loved the toys I made. So I sent it with her. Along with a note. I just feel, like you should send your loved ones away...with a little something special.


Something I may not have mentioned is...my grandparents wanted their granddaughters to be their pallbearers. What an honor. To get to carry our grandparents to their final resting place. 


And while this was not necessarily a favorite thing of mine. It was truly an honor. It's been just over 4 years, since my Tatie (Grandpa) past on. And on Saturday, we laid my sweet Nanie to rest.


The women in our family, are such strong people. We owe it all, to our grandparents. Yes, we all have parents. But our grandparents instilled wise lessons, manners, strength, faith, and so much more...in us. They wanted us to be strong women. And boy, am I happy to be included in this bunch of women! In case you are wondering, my big littlest sis, is the 4th from the left. :)


It's so hard to admit, that we don't see each other much. But on this day, my Mom, her brothers, and sisters got to be close. And they were able to hold on to each other, on a very tough day. And just in case you were wondering about all the red...it was my Nanie's favorite color! We don't usually wear red to funerals.


It's crazy how life continues to move forward. Whether or not, you are ready for it. We got a bag, with a few things we had given my Nanie. And this picture was in it. I can still remember taking this picture. I was in college. And had come home, for this special occasion.

We actually took a large family picture. Which I never got! The photography shop, never gave us our print. What can you do? But each one of my grandparent's kids, with their family, also got to take some pictures. We did one with just us grandkids too. Awesome memories!

But this picture here, I gave it to my Nanie, right after my Tatie died. And with all her moves, she always took it with her. I was getting ready for Church on Sunday morning. I just had to stop and look at it. I can't believe 3 out of the 5 of us, are now angels...


After Church we headed home, for breakfast. Originally, we had been scheduled to sell at Church. For a Craft Sale. But with everything going on, we took the day off. And made it a pretty lazy day.

That included leftovers. My cousins, on the other side of my family, generously did all the cooking for my Nanie's funeral. And they setup and cleaned up the entire reception for us. They are such a blessing. I've always looked at them...as the sisters and brother, that God intended for me. :) Anyone remember the entire family, waiting with me for the bus? That stopped in front of the house.

Anyway, they are amazing cooks! And we ended up taking a bit of food home. So Sunday morning, my Mom fried up a couple of eggs. Because we all know, I can't make a fried egg. And we had the yummiest red enchiladas! So cheesy. Just like I like them!


If you follow me on Insta, then you have probably seen this product. On Sunday night's I've been trying to do a #SelfCareSunday. Basically, I take time for me. I've managed to do this, every Sunday in 2018. Except last week. When we were with my Nanie.

But this has to be my favorite mask. It's a sheet mask. And it's so relaxing to take a long bath. Then lay down, with this on my face. Catching up, with my favorite YouTubers.

In case you are interested, I get these at Walmart. I want to say that they are $2-3 each. It's basically a sheet, about the thickness of a baby wipe. And it is soaked in the most moisturizing liquid. I have a whole basket of masks. That a friend sent me. But this one, is my favorite.


Another disease, that we like to highlight for our foundation is Epilepsy. My Dad had epilepsy, for over 60 years! He was very embarrassed of this disease. Something that he had almost no control over.

Honestly, he did a pretty good job, controlling it. My Dad went to the doctor once a month. Every month of my life. To have his medication levels checked. He took his medication, twice a day. Every single day. Medicine that helped control his seizures.

Since I was little, I learned how to take care of my Dad. He taught me, when I was about 5 years old...how to put the car into neutral. Just in case. I learned real quick, what to do...when my Dad had a seizure. Call my Mom or Grandma. Lay him on his side. Hold his head. And as I got older, I could care for my Dad, by myself.

It was a tough disease. My Dad would joke with me..."It took my teeth. At times, it takes my dignity. But it will never keep me down."

My Dad lived a pretty normal life. He would have an "episode" about once a year. Two seizures in a day. One in the morning. One in the late afternoon/evening. In the last few years of his life...the seizures changed a bit. But it was more due, to his cancer. Than the epilepsy itself.


Every Monday, we wear purple for epilepsy. It was a disease, that my Dad learned how to live with. We, as his family, learned to live with it too. It wasn't a death sentence. You can join us in wearing purple too. Just tag your pics with #LoveForBlue #PurpleMondays #EpilepsyAwareness

I want people to know, you shouldn't be ashamed, if you have seizures. My Dad was lucky. His disease was pretty well managed. He was able to drive. Medication kept him pretty healthy. Life was pretty normal.

But I know, many people have a hard time. Epilepsy and seizures have such a huge range. In our family, we have a few family members...who battle this disease. Every case is different. Every person, has a different treatment. But they all, live a pretty normal life.


Earlier this week, Sweetheart and I had to run to the store real quick. And we picked up a pizza, for dinner. While sitting at a light, I was just so amazed with the sky!

It just amazes me, how life keeps on. With or without you, the sun still rises and sets. The birds chirp. People still buzz around. 

And in that moment, I had to just stop. And breathe. How glorious is this earth, that we live on. Some weeks, just feel so tough. And impossible. Then God sends you a message, in a beautiful sunset. To remind you, he's on your side!


Remember how I mentioned, struggling with sleep lately? Well, that lead to me finding a new TV show to watch. The Animal Planet's The Zoo. I got so hooked on Tuesday night, that I watched until 4AM Wednesday morning!

It all started with an episode about a flamingo. Who had to have surgery on it's leg! Flamingos are my favorite! So I watched a handful of episodes. And was thoroughly sad, when I couldn't find another episode to watch.

I just know, my Mom is going to be hooked too! It's a behind-the-scenes view, of the Bronx Zoo. Super interesting. I'll admit it here...I cried when an animal died. I think it would be a great show, for all ages! You get to see how the animals are cared for, trained, and what it takes, to really make the Zoo run.


Like I said, it has been a tough week. With tough relationships. And circumstances. When you really begin, to realize...just how strong you are. How each one of those rocks people throw your way, can be something positive too. This quotes sums all of that up, for me. Turn the negatives, into positives.


Wednesday we had another funeral to go to. What a week! But again, it was a good excuse to spend time with family. It really does make me sad, that it takes this kind of event, to bring us together.

But it allowed my Mom and I, to spend time with family. Family we don't see often. Friends that have turned into family. And it made the weight of all these losses, feel a little more bearable. Nothing like laughter, to make that happen!

But in this picture, post funeral, I really wanted to share my jewelry. I owe my love of Native American jewelry to my Nanie. And while I have some really nice pieces, this set just made me smile. My Mom gave it to me for Christmas. And I just love it!

I almost died, while driving home. I realized one earring was missing. And while I was on a race to make it home...I needed the restroom...my heart stopped. I mean, there were countless places in the cemetery where it could have been. We had been to two cemeteries that day! Or at the reception hall. Who knows where?

When we got home, I found it. In the seat of the car. Thank God! I know this set will be on a regular rotation, in my wardrobe. But I need to get some earring backs, before I wear it again. I don't want to lose an earring.


I've also been trying to decorate for every holiday. We have the decorations. I just have been unmotivated. So for New Year's it was one of those things, I put on my list for 2018.

I'm not back to my normal Holiday Spirit. But I'm trying. This shelf in our living room, I think of it as my area to rotate decor. Sorta like someone's mantel. I did a little decorating earlier this week. Added some lights, a sign, and some gold touches.

I also managed to decorate our dining room table. Change out all the linens. Added our St. Patty's day kitchen towels. The other places I added some green touches, are to a buffet in our living room, our coffee table, and my bathroom counter. Nothing too crazy. Just some green vases, pretty spring flowers, and a couple of gold accessories.

The Easter decor, is waiting. Some lambs, crosses, and fun bunnies. I'll probably change that out, on Sunday. The holidays are all jammed together this year. But I'm trying. 

Not long ago, our house would have looked like Hobby Lobby, Hallmark, and Gordman's had all exploded on it. But over the last 2 or 3 years...I just sorta lost that spark. I'm calling this a success.


Lastly, I have this quote. I talked to a friend late last week. A long time, family friend. Really I can almost call her a second mom. And she was helping me, to put things into perspective. 

We don't have to pull people along with us. In our lives. We don't need the negativity or the drama. We need to focus on what's important. Who is important. And why all these things are important.

I think when a family suffers a loss, it makes you rethink so much. Relationships. The daily. What you really want in your life. And who you want. You are not obligated, to tug everyone along...on your journey. And sometimes, it's so important to make those breaks.

Just make a quick, clean break. It hurts less. Eventually, if those people were meant to be in your life, they'll find their way back. If not, you'll find new people, to fill that space. 

Life is full of unpleasant things, experiences, and people. But you shouldn't sit and focus on that. You should focus on the positive. As much as we want all of our family, in our lives, sometimes it's not what is best for us.

That's it...for this week! It's been a tough one. Physically, emotionally, and spiritually draining. I look forward to a much calmer week. We have a fun birthday party tomorrow afternoon. And I'm excited for that! For once, the presents are made, bought, and wrapped up!

I'm also excited to do some "Sweet Making," for our Church Family today. I have some St. Patty's day desserts in mind. And I know, our Fish Dinner will be fun! I just love, hanging out at Church! See you next week!

XOXO,
Desiree

No comments:

Post a Comment