Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Fall in the Southwest

Fall starts on Friday! I can hear the angels singing! I don't know what it is, about this time of year. I just yearn for it. There is something to be said, for the cooler temps. The comfort of snuggling up on the couch, with a blanket. While watching the familiar faces, of your favorite shows, make a return.

I'm that girl, that yearns for familiar things. The aroma of green chili, hanging in the air. That crisp feeling, when you walk out the door in the morning. The comfort of putting on my grandpa's sweater. 

With all that being said, our temps are still hanging in the high 80s and low 90s. The weatherman made me laugh last night. When he mentioned our Fall like weather on Sunday. 81 degrees. 

But I'm not letting any of that, rain on my parade. I've been dreaming about Fall colors. Warm cups of tea. And all those comfy clothes! There is just something, about putting on an oversized sweater. Or snuggling into your scarf. Oh how I love Fall!

So today, I'm talking about some of my favorite Fall pieces. Some might seem a little odd. Just keep in mind. I live in the southwest. My style often reflects that. And our Fall temps, are quite warm...compared to most!


When I first think of Fall, I think of September. And since I was little, that meant dresses with Cowboy boots. Especially for the State Fair. It's a look, that you can't go wrong with. Obviously, a darker colored dress, would speak more to Fall. But I encourage all of it!


I also feel like heavy lace, is a nice Fall look. I don't know if this speaks to me, because of my upbringing...or because of where I lived in my early 20s. But I see heavy lace pieces as being very "Cowgirl." And September, makes me want dress more in Western style. 


Are you seeing a pattern here? I adore dresses! Especially in the Spring and Fall. I feel like they are nice transitional pieces. You can dress them up or down. Add a sweater or a boot. These Chambray pieces, our my favorite! 

So our these booties. I LOVE a nice boot. But I feel like Booties speak more to me, in the Fall. The color of this pair, is absolutely perfect! And Booties are so fun, to mix into your wardrobe. I love to pair them with skinny jeans, and a thin sweater. Or a fun dress.


But my "basic Fall uniform," is much closer to this. A pair of boots. Riding boots, Cowboy boots, anything that is tall. A pair of fun colored jeans. Or a dark wash. A nice blouse. With some sort of cardigan and scarf. All day. Every single day! Fall all day long! 

I also find, this is when I reach for my makeup and jewelry more. I feel like it's time, to put the effort in again. Am I strange? Summer is just too tough. I feel like Summer, is all about low maintence. I don't want to be worrying about makeup and jewelry. Especially since you literally break into a sweat...going to get your mail. In your front yard!


In my circle of friends, I'm known for wearing mustard. Mustard everything and anything. I also like to refer to it, as baby poop. It really is one of my favorite colors to wear. I may own 3 or more, pairs of mustard jeans. A handful of sweaters. And who knows how many scarves!

I just feel like mustard is a good transitional color. It's a toned down version...of the bright yellow of Summer. And it's prepping us, for all the burnt orange, that is on the way. Oh how I love mustard!


Here we are with the boots again. Oh, how I love a cognac boot! And a stripe. Have I mentioned the mustard scarf? Or the big 'ol comfy sweater? I'm telling you, I love an oversized sweater!

A boyfriend sweater, is my favorite Fall accessory. I have an old sweater, that was my Grandpa's. Hands down, my favorite item of clothing, to pull on when it's cool outside!


Let's talk leopard. It shouldn't be a shock to anyone that knows me. But leopard is my favorite print! Way past floral or damask. I LOVE leopard! My poor dog, also has to endure my love of leopard. In her short life...she's had about 10 leopard outfits. :)

I feel like a leopard scarf, is a nice way, to add a little something to a basic outfit. And like I was saying, I feel like Fall is when I begin to "care" again. It's kind of like a bow on a present. Not necessary. But oh so nice!

I also adore a military jacket. There's just something about the cut and color, that I feel like, screams Fall! The feminity of the leopard scarf, and the masculinity of the militarty jacket...are a perfect balance!


There are my favorite booties again! Oh, I do love a nice bootie. But this is more about the color burgundy. I like a rich color. Especially in Fall. Right here, these pieces are just screaming Fall to me. 

I'm always drawn to burgundy. It was one of my school colors in college. But I just adore the richness of the color. The way some people are drawn to red in the Winter/Holiday Season. I'm drawn to burgundy in the Fall. 


Like I said, I live in the southwest. And that has always influenced my style of dress. Maybe in high school, it wasn't appreciated. But as I've gotten older, I've gotten a lot more comfortable with it.

Items like a blanket cardigan or a moccassin boot, are not new to me. They're not a trendy item. It's something I've been wearing my entire life! So when I started to see more and more people wearing these items, it got me all excited!

I guess you could wear these pieces all year long. But I feel like, around here...it's just too hot. I'm not going to lie here. I may have pulled out such items last week. And sported them to the State Fair. But when paired with basic jeans and a white T-shirt...it just works! 

The boots went well with the outfit. And in the evening, when the temps started to drop...the cardigan was a nice addition. It speaks to my roots. And my style. 


An outfit like this, just speaks to my roots. It's something, I have been known, to wear often. Simple. Easy. Southwestern. Lace and leather. Moccassins and jeans. Throw in a little Cowgirl. How could this not be Fall?


Another one of those easy looks for Fall. Gingham checks. And thin sweaters. Lots of layering. And maybe a nod, to your school colors. Or favorite sports team. This is the perfect tailgating outfit. You know, without looking like you should be part of the team.

I was once a cheerleader. And noticed just how close, some fans can get...to looking like the team. This is still a nice "put together" look, without looking like you should be passing out Gatorade.


When I see an outfit like this, I just think Fall. It's easy. Not fusy. Ready for exploring Pumpkin Patches, Tailgating fun, and wondering through the State Fair. There are layers. And more Earthy colors. It's just ready for Fall!


I also start thinking about hair. Being that I spend the entire Summer, with mine piled high on my head. I think of lots of braids and texture. Much like this hairstyle.

And although this is very much a Summer picture, the hairstyle is very much for Fall. Something messy. Effortless. And super easy.


Like I said before, I start pulling out all my jewelry in Fall. And I'm most drawn to bronze. Something about all the Earth tones, makes me think of bronze and antique gold. The richness of the metal, pairs well with the rich colors of Fall!


And being a gal of the Southwest, Native American jewelry has a soft spot in my heart. I feel like any outfit can be dressed up, with a splash of turquoise. Or coral! And I find that these heavy pieces, work best in the Fall!

I hope you enjoyed my look into Fall fashion. It's a real world take. I won't be sporting things on the Runways. It's more about easy, comfort, and a nod to my roots. Fall is easily my favorite season for fashion. The mixes of texture, color, and natural fibers. I honestly love it all!

XOXO,
Desiree

No comments:

Post a Comment