Friday, September 29, 2017

Friday Favorites

Happy Friday! It's been such a busy week. I'm so exhausted. But I know, we only have a month left...of all this craziness! I can make it. Until then, I'm going to enjoy my mid afternoon...little naps.


I just can't get over the fact, that this is the last Friday of the month. Where did September go? I feel like, Summer just started. And you know what...Fall is halfway over! So let's get started with this week's Friday Favorites.


 1. Flu Shots. They are not my favorite. And how much do you want to bet...I'll still get the flu. But with my Momma's health issues...it's a necessary. Much like when my Dad was sick.

So Friday I took my Mom to the dentist. And while I wanted to have my teeth cleaned too, I needed to be with my Momma. So she had her teeth looked at. We spent a couple of hours there. And on the way out...they got me!

The guy was a student from UNM. And was very gentle. But my arm is still sore. And I think it will be for a few days. On a side note...I've been feeling a little under the weather all week. But a gal has to do, what a gal has to do! Side note, Adam you put my bandaid on...upside down!


 2. Beautiful Sunsets. I had to go run a couple of errands Friday evening. My Momma was a little tired from the early morning. She's not really used to getting up, before 9 or 10AM. 

So when I left the house, it was drizzling a bit. And there was this beautiful sunset. This picture, doesn't even begin to show the beauty in the sky. Gosh, I LOVE southwestern skies!

I've traveled so much in my life. For work and training. I've seen so many sunrises and sunsets. But nothing at all, compares to out our New Mexico skies!


 3. Mason Jar Flowers. On Saturday, we got the bad news. Our Growers' Market neighbors were calling it quits. For the season. Saturday was their last day. I know...we only have about 6 weeks left. But still, I'm going to miss Tita and her momma!

Their flowers are ALWAYS a bright spot, in our Saturday mornings! And from time to time, I've bought arrangements. Gosh, I just adore them! I told her, if I ever get married or have a Baby Shower...she's doing the flowers!

I'm going to miss her. Just like we miss the ladies of What the Fudge. You get to be a family. I mean, we are around each other from April to November. But there is a 95% chance, I'm going to use Mason Jar Flowers and What the Fudge in our next fundraiser. I'm just so happy, that we met these new friends.


 4. Coffee Runs. So on Sunday we decided to meet some other Growers' Market friends. Framily is what I call them. But honestly, they've become our family. My Mom and I were going to go have a breakfast burrito. And we stopped by Starbucks on the way. To use up some of those $75 worth of gift cards. Neither of us were impressed with our selections that day. Back to iced tea and cake pops for both of us. Those fancy drinks...just don't do it!

But our friends had done a catering job the night before. And were EXHAUSTED!!! So I offered to go grab some coffee. I went to McDonald's. Dang, the line was forever! But when I got back everyone seemed happy! My Mom and I stayed for the entire market. Just to help out. Really, if we could have, we would have sent them home for a nap.

Even if I don't like to drink coffee, darn I like to smell it! I LOVED how the car held on to the aroma for about 2 days. And because it was McDonald's coffee, I thought of my Dad. Most of all, I enjoyed hanging out with our friends. :)


 5. Fall Clothes. I have been watching the weather...like my life depends on it. For the last 2 weeks. In anticipation, of Fall like weather. Finally, Sunday showed some promise.

And I dug it all out! Sweaters, scarves, and boots. I Just adore a big 'ol sweater. One that is soft and snuggly. My Mom originally bought this for my sister. And then realized it was a little too small. When we went to exchange it last year...I somehow ended up with it. I'm not complaining!

From now on, I can tell you one thing. Every single day, I'll be searching out the perfect scarf. You know, for my outfit. I LOVE Scarf Season! It's just the best time of year!


 6. Homemade Waffles. So on Monday, I decided to make waffles. I've been thinking about waffles for weeks now! The thing is, I don't like to eat them, when we go out. They're never crisp enough. And lack flavor.

So I dug out the waffle iron, and got busy. By the time my Mom and the dogs woke up, I had a stack of waffles. And some bacon. I also cut up some fruit. It was so delicious.

And our dogs got the first 2 waffles. A lot like pancakes, those first 2 aren't the best. So it's their treat for the week. My Mom was really excited too. I'm thinking blueberry waffles will be next. I just bought a HUGE container of blueberries.


 7. Cooking Bug. It must be the cooler temps. Or even Fall. But I've got that cooking bug. I've wanted to cook and bake all week! On Monday I made chicken fajitas. They were so yummy! Even if I ate by myself.

Is anyone else like that? I feel like maybe I care a bit more in the cooler months. I want to be cooking, Caring more about my clothes, hair, and makeup. It's like in the Summer, it's just too hot. And uncomfortable. You just don't care.

But when the cooler temps roll in, I'm ready to go again. And I'm ready to feed everyone and anyone. Seriously! I've got a HUGE list of things I want to try out. And not just for us. But for our dogs...


 8. Hibiscus. My LOVE of jamaica or hibiscus started when I was a freshmen in college. We will blame that on my violin teacher. Also on my friend Sancho. Both would bring me Jamaica tea. At my violin lessons, Mariachi rehearsals, anytime we'd see each other.

I don't know where it had been all my life. Or how, it took until college for me to find this tea. Before I knew it, I was looking for anything Jamaica. Ice cream, Aguas Frescas, candy...anything!

Then my friend Tino started making these Aguas Frescas. Watermelon Hibiscus. You need help selling? And I get one of those. No problem! I turned into a real addict. It was even better than the tea, that I had grown to love. This week, while we were helping him at an event...he made an Agua Fresca that was just Jamaica. It was love at first taste! I wonder if I can get him to make me, an entire jug, just for myself. :)


 9. Homemade Cinnamon Rolls. So I promised our friends cinnamon rolls. A few weeks ago. Maybe a couple of months ago. And all sorts of stuff has happened. The yeast I bought...wasn't active. I tried proofing it at least 5 times. Then I just didn't have time. But the worst part, is when I lost my Grandma's recipe.

Ugh! So I asked my cousin. And my Auntie. And I searched for it. No luck. So I started researching recipes. I thought about my Grandma's recipe. And eventually came up with my own recipe. It made 4 dozen? With the crispy end pieces. Half the rolls had pecans...the other half were the traditional kind.

So yummy! There are a few changes I'm going to make to this recipe. Then I'll try it again. But I really liked the recipe. The dough was AMAZING to work with! It would make amazing LARGE cinnamon rolls. I'm going to try that next time. Bonus, the dough wasn't yeast-y tasting. Do you know what I mean? I HATE when you can really taste the yeast.

The one thing that I was not completely happy with, was the icing. I tripled it, and still found that it wasn't quite enough. I want to try a cream cheese icing next time. Something not so sweet.

And then, I've been dreaming of Fall like flavors. Pumpkin, pecans, sweet potatoes. Who knows, what I'm going to come up with. But I love to bake for other people. And everyone loves a good cinnamon roll. I tell you, if I ever get married...my husband is going to weigh so much. Because I LOVE to cook!


10. Green Chili Stew. Our friend offered to make us green chili stew. On Tuesday we saw Landis. And he wasn't feeling very well. But he wanted to cook for us. So he told us, we'd have breakfast on Wednesday. Didn't I tell you, we all become family.

On Wednesday, the weather was horrible! Raining, windy, cold as heck! So I didn't expect Landis to really show up. I had warm cinnamon rolls to hand out. And not many vendors to hand them out to.

We stood around, debating if we were going to be staying. My Mom sat in the car. About 5 of us, stood outside. Looking at the sky. Eating. And debating. Finally we decided to set up the farmers. 

I figured we'd just head home. My Mom and I. After we set up our friends. Then my Mom came to tell us, Landis was on his way. With stew. I LOVE green chili stew! So we stayed. And I'm glad we did. 

We got a yummy breakfast. It wasn't chili hot. But had a nice flavor. We ended up taking the leftovers home. And snacking on it, for the last few days. We also managed to help our friends, sell a bit of their produce. Being a farmer, has to be tough!


11. Finding Fabric. Buying fabric should be an art...all by itself! We've been hunting down that skull fabric, for well over a month! Our friend ordered an apron, with this fabric. He saw the ladies' apron that we had. But darn, it is hard to find this fabric! I cannot even begin to tell you, just how many stores we've been to. 

When I was talking to his daughter, she mentioned liking owls and peacocks. So when we stumbled on the skulls, I started digging. My Mom and I were half frozen from being outside at the Growers' Market. But this was a good find! Now to make the aprons. 

On another note...still skull related...I found some skull leggings. I've been hunting for them. For at least 2 weeks. We found my Mom a pair. But not me. Until Wednesday morning. I'm so excited!


12. Rain Puddles. It rained All. Day. Long. WEDNESDAY! When we got home, I took a nap. My sleep has been so off lately. I'm up all night. And crash hard, about noon. Sometimes I make it to 2PM. Then I sleep for 6 or 8 hours.

It's a horrible cycle. Rainy and overcast days don't help either. I was so exhausted on Wednesday. The weather just helped my napping. So did puppy cuddles. :)

But it rained and rained and rained. This was the street Thursday morning. We were still getting sprinkles. But the county came out to pump the water. Do you see the size of that truck? They took 6 truck loads of water...and it looked like they hadn't taken a gallon! Ugh!

But that is our situation. We desperately need the water. But sometimes, it's a little much. Like this week. And it doesn't seem to be letting up. It looks like we're about to get rained on...at the Downtown Growers' Market. I just hope it's not too much.

I also hope, they come and pump some more water. Our yard is mostly grass and sand. So we don't have the HUGE puddles. But the street is another story. And the way some people drive...

We have a crazy busy weekend. I'm not sure how we're going to fit it all in. But we'll try. Girls' Night, Growers' Markets, birthday parties, get togethers, and fundraisers. That's part of being from a Big 'Ol Family. But it is always a lot of fun.

Most of all, I'm anxious to see my sister. We've been so busy lately, that we haven't been able to meet up. And soon, she is headed to the East Coast. So you know, we need to find some time. Hope you had a good week. Happy Friday!

XOXO,
Desiree

No comments:

Post a Comment