Friday, October 27, 2017

Underwear...

It's hilarious! The amount of emails I get...about underwear. I also get a ton of questions on Messenger...and when I see people. But overwhelmingly, they are about underwear. I know...


I don't think I'm much of an expert. I'm actually pretty lazy, when it comes to this topic. I'm also a creature of habit. I find something that works, and I stick with it. Nothing too crazy.

My favorite brands...have been my favorites for years! I'm talking 15 or more years. I find something. I like it. I stick with it. Until I can't find it any longer...

But I get a lot of questions, because I was a cheerleader. I was a professional musician. And I worked out a lot. A LOT! I never realized, how important underwear was, to all of these things. So let's get started.


We'll start with bras. I was the same exact size, from the time I was 12...until I was about 27. And my go to bra, was from Vassarette. Nothing fancy. Or even sexy. I like a nude bra. But I do have these in black and white. Nude is just perfect, no matter what you are wearing.

I think I first found these bras at Walmart. They also have back straps that can be fastened together. And when I was a cheerleader, that was a necessary thing. When I went to college, I started to find these bras at Target. Same brand, just different packaging.

I mostly buy the one pictured. But a nice cotton bra, is perfect for summer. And sometimes, it's just fun to wear something lacy. All the Vasserette bras, in this line, are made the same. As in style. But they have a nylon, cotton, and lace version. They're somewhere between $10 each...and $18 for a 2 pack. I've only been able to find them at Target lately.


As I got older, I started listening to my girlfriends a bit. In my first year of college, a friend's mom, sent me a Victoria's Secret giftcard. And I fell in love! Again, nothing fancy. I think I went to the semi-annual sale. And found whatever was nude, and in my size. Honestly, I've never met a VS bra, that I didn't like!

They're a bit more pricey. But definitely worth the price. They last sooo long! The various bras have different functions...depending on the style. I mean, there is an entire room...that is not necessary for me. When will I have a need, for a completely lace bra. With zero support. Those are for my friends...and their men.

For reference, until I was about 27 or 28, I wore a 34B. These days, I wear a 34D. I find that these 2 companies, run almost exact, in size. So when I can't find what I need, I'm never fearful to order online.

As far as underwear, I'm at 2 completely different extremes! But it total depends, on what I need to be doing. How I will be dressed. And if I care about the VPL.

First up, the thong. I know. It's a love-hate relationship. When I confess this to many women, they about die! But really, they are not that bad. Probably because I wore them daily, from 8th grade-graduation. But I was a cheerleader. If we weren't in our micro minis, we were in short shorts. And you don't want your panties escaping your bloomers. Especially at a game or performance.


But with that said, not all thongs are made the same. I found Vassarette thongs, when I first started wearing them. Made of a stretchy cotton nylon blend. My absolute favs! At the time, I found them at Walmart. These days, on a lucky trip...I'll find them at Target. Most of the time, I have to go to a department store.


For a time, George...from Walmart, carried a similar product. But I was recently looking for some, and couldn't find the brand George. Insert sad face. But I did find a cotton stretch, from No Boundaries. It's OK. Not my favorite. But still comfortable.

I will never wear something without stretch. Size 0...or 10. They don't work. Maybe with your man, for 5 minutes. But not as an everyday kind of underwear. I find you need some decent stretch. So you don't get a wedgie. Or experience some sort of pain. And honestly, if you have the right thong, you can't even tell that you are wearing underwear. And they usually run $2-4.

When do I wear thongs? When I cheered. When I was a musician. Because I either wore a tight skirt...for Mariachi. Or something tiny, for the bands I played with. When I worked at Hooters. Hello, mini shorts! Probably for a solid 18 years, it's all I wore. Except, the rare occasion, that I'd get my period.


My other go to underwear, is a cotton bikini. I like anything from a Hanes bikini...to the cotton VS panties. But they have to be bikini cut. This has been my go to, for the last 5 years? Unless, I'm dressing up. Then you know, a thong is necessary.


I like my underwear to be cotton. So you can breathe. It helps you to prevent any type of infection. And is the most comfortable for me. On a rare occasion, I will also wear a boy short. But that is usually to sleep in. For just a comfy day at home, the VS cotton bikini is my fav! And they always have new prints. Lots of holiday options. They're just fun!

I also find that this type of underwear is best, for working out in. Running, hitting the gym, doing some sort of class. Or if you are really active. I mean, packing, loading, and unloading crates of items for the Growers' Markets...these are best. Hot summer days, these work great.

But honestly, it's more about the care. And maintenance. I wash all my clothes, in cold water, gentle cycle, with Woolite. My bras, go into a lingerie bag. And then all of my underwear is dried on the clothesline. My bras, I lay them on the bed. It's important for the care. Never smash the cups. Or disfigure them, while you wash and dry them. And when you store your bras, be gentle.

It took a little trial and error. And I think underwear is a very personal beast. I have friends who can chase 5 little ones, in lacy numbers. And I have other friends, who were granny panties and sports bras. These are the pieces, that I've found to work for me. And my lifestyle.

If you are having some issues, experiment a bit. Go to Walmart or Target, and pick up a panty in a few different styles. Or a bra. Hit up the next VS semi-annual. Try a few things. And when you find what works best for you, stock up! Get rid, of all those pieces that don't work. Most importantly, love your underwear. Take good care of it, and it will take good care of you!

XOXO,
Desiree

No comments:

Post a Comment