Thursday, August 31, 2017

We LOVE You Texas!

My heart breaks. I've cried more tears, than I can tell you about. This tragedy in Texas...makes me feel like I've been punched in the gut!


16 years ago, I moved for college. And I never realized, how the Lone Star State would capture my heart. I've worked in Texas. 95% of my professional training, was done in Texas. And I have so many friends, who are Texans. Had my parents' health been good, I'd be a proud Texas resident. Yes, the Lone Star State has my heart!

When Harvey hit, my heart broke. Immediately, I started texting, emailing, and Skyping friends. What else could I do? I started asking them...What do you need? How can I help? I'm praying for you.


I researched locally. And in Texas. Many people I've talked to, said they need diapers, pet food, pet toys, kid toys, and infant necessities...such as blankets, clothes, and formula. Diapers are not something, that are given in disaster packs. Neither is pet supplies.

Locally, our chapters of the Red Cross are asking for monetary donations. And bottled water. Right now, the rest is too much. But I've been on the phone. Trying to get in touch, with organizations headed to Texas.


Why? Because I know, there are many New Mexicans who would like to donate. Who don't have extra money. But they have extra toys, clothes, and house goods. Maybe a family can't afford to donate $20. But they have some extra wipes, dog treats, or adult diapers. I've talked to 2 separate organizations. And we're trying to set up, some sort of pickup. I'll keep you posted. I'm 100% on board, to organize what I can.

Locally, Channel 7 is linking up with ABC, for their Day of Giving. I know, even $1...can make a HUGE difference. Just think about it. If tomorrow, all you had was your family...Who would be there for you? If today, your home was destroyed, and all you had, were the clothes on your back...what would you do?

These people have no homes, cars, clothes, toys for their kids, or supplies for their pets. People have died. The water is contaminated. I worked a flood, years ago. It's heartbreaking. But you see the best of people come out, during the toughest of times. I had friends who lost everything. And I was blessed enough, to open my home to them. You saw small children, give other children...their favorite toys. The smallest of gestures, made the largest impact!


So I feel like, I need to step up again. This time, I have the outlook, from a nonprofit.  Since starting Love For Blue, I've seen the greater need. How much, is needed in our communities. How even the smallest bit, can help so many!

I don't have a ton of money...personally. But I do have time to organize your donations. And I also have a talent. Crochet. In the coming week, I'll be making items. And I'll have a post, at Two Crafty Hearts. The items I put in that post, I'll sell. And then donate the money to the Houston Food Bank and the Texas Diaper Bank.


You may not have a lot. But we have more, than our fellow Americans. Who are going through such a tough time. All I can think is...what if that was me? My family. My inner circle. It's time to get out your big 'ol Texas heart...and help a little. All of us together, can make such a difference!

XOXO,
Desiree

No comments:

Post a Comment